Thursday, November 26, 2020

Big Sky- Season 1- Pilot episode

 

5/10

This new show from David E. Kelly based on the book The Highway by C.J. Box follows a a rural Montana private detective agency as they search for a couple of missing teenage girls. I felt the pilot was just okay and there wasn't enough to entice me to keep watching.

The biggest issue was that the detectives didn't interest me. They are all given immediate personal conflicts, but not enough effort is given to make the characters themselves interesting or relatable. Nor is enough teased to make me want to find out more. It doesn't help that their conflicts feel petty in the grand scheme of things. A lot of other stuff in this is watchable, but it feels like the show is merely fulfilling the basic requirements of a drama.

That having been said, there were a couple interesting twists in a road. Also, John Carroll Lynch, who's usually good, is fun as an oddball sheriff. The show looks great, combining the northern landscape and a fine use of color.

Overall, I wouldn't say I downright disliked this. It's that with so many shows out there, I felt there were better uses of my time. It is possible that some of you could get more out of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment