Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Animaniacs (2020)- Season 1

 

9/10

Yakko (voiced by Rob Paulsen), Wakko (Jess Harnell), and Dot Warner (Tress Macneille) and Pinky (Paulsen again) and the Brain (Maurice LaMarche) return for more crazy shenanigans. I love this resurrection of the popular 90's cartoon. 

This show is really funny. (I particularly recommend the episode Good Warner Hunting which is comic perfection.) There is a perfect mix of verbal comedy and classic physical slapstick. The writers are miraculously able to capture the basic essence of the original while also giving this iteration it's own jive. Even in its first season, the show is developing it's own new recurring characters during the segments. 

Fans of the original be forewarned that a lot of the supporting cast has been culled with the focus mainly being on the Warners and Pinky and the Brain. I'm actually okay with this as they were the truly funny members of the cast and the main reason I watched as a kid. The others never matched up. However, I can see how fans of Slappy the Squirrel or Buttons and Mindy will be let down. (However, if you're favorite show was the Goodfeathers, then I do not wish to know you sir or ma'm.)

The show does try to maintain the variety feel by offering a handful of quick sketches. One's pretty funny, one's alright, and one just feels derivative. 

Hello Nurse was cut from the Warner sketches, but considering that she was there basically as a lust object, I can see how that wouldn't work in today's climate. They also replaced Plotz, with a new female CEO of Warner Bros. Studios Nora Rita Norita (Stephanie Escajeda). I'm okay with this. Plotz was a basic greedy, rich guy, but Norita leaves more of an impression. She's more of a grandiose openly self-serving character. 

I do worry that adults may like this more than today's kids. I know the original had adult jokes, but I fear this new version might lean a little too much toward them and satire. (There's an entire episode bashing Russia and a reference to Oldboy. Who wants to explain Oldboy to their kids.) There's also a lot of references to this being a reboot and the original show. I fear all that could go over children's heads.

If you're one of those parents, who don't like your kids watching shows like Teen Titans Go, because the characters are jerks and there aren't any good role models for you kids, you might have issue with this. The Warners have always been known to mess with people, but there were a few times in this reboot where they felt too mean. Course, I could've been remembering things wrong. It's been quite some time since I've seen the original. Maybe, it just feels out of place in this climate. Brain physically abusing Pinky feels more uncomfortable from the eyes of an adult, too. The P&B episode The Mousechurian Candidate in general felt too dark. Sure, the Brain has always humorously tried to take over the world, but this time it felt like they took him too far. (Though weirdly, the Brain is depicted as more caring or forgiving of Pinky than in the original.) 

This version also feels like it has more of a political agenda than the original. Conservatives may not be fans. (There's a whole episode that is an allegory for gun control.)

I won't lie that I miss the original cell animation with its brighter colors and greater detail and cleaner linework. That having been said, I'm not knocking the current animation. A lot of effort went into this, which includes a lot of characters, motion, and sets. I appreciate that they tried to stick to the general looks of the characters instead of going with new, simplified redesigns. I also liked the looks of the humans in this, which all have a newspaper satiresque appearance. (Some of the character motion can be a bit messy and the Warners have this odd yellowish-white look to their faces, but those aren't deal-breakers). What I liked about all the new sketches is that they also tried something different with the animation style.

The show retains the type of the songs that made the original fun, too. I can't say any of them are as good as the countries or states song, but they're quality.

The original voice cast is back, however Paulsen can't quite nail Yakko's voice like he did in his prime.

Yeah, I nitpicked some stuff pretty longer than I talked about the stuff I liked, because this was a big part of my childhood and change can be jarring when you've got nostalgia. Plus, a lot of this so well done that it's hard to articulate. Overall, I do highly recommend this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment