Sunday, June 6, 2021

The Conjuring, the Devil Made Me Do It

 

8/10

In this third entry in the main Conjuring line of films, Lorraine and Ed Warren (played by Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson) investigate the possession of Arne Cheyenne Johnson (Ruairi O'Connor) who was made to commit a murder.

First, off this didn't have the same steady rate of scares as the first two films. There are decent ones, don't get me wrong, but they're spread apart. I didn't really mind as The Devil Makes Me Do It has an entertaining story. The movie moves away from focusing on one family being haunted (although I liked Conjuring 2, I admit it the plot did feel a little retread-ey) and is more of a supernatural investigation movie. Instead of constant scare there is a little more of an emphasis of general dark underpinnings.

This is the first time in the main films you actually see kills if that's what you like. However, one may also feel it gross to make a popcorn film based on a real manslaughter case.        

One of the best parts is just hanging with the Warrens. Between their dialogue and Farmiga and Wilson's performance, the characters are just plain likable. (Credit should especially be given to Farmiga. She really sells her reactions to the supernatural.) I could watch them ordering breakfast at Denny's and I'd be fine. The rest of the cast is good, too. 

What I like about the Conjuring sequels is that they always tweak a little what the main threat will be. The antagonist in this may not be quite the standout that Conjuring 2's The Nun was, but is fairly effective and he or she leaves more of an impression than the ghost from the first film.

The movie's just nice to look at. This was directed by Michael Chaves, who direct the Conjuring-verse's La Llorona. That was my second least favorite film in the franchise, and I must admit I had my reservations about the director. I'm happy to say that Chaves has really improved. He really has a confident control of the cinematography. This movie reverts to the first Conjuring's  lighting scheme, and shows you can have natural, sunny lighting and still be a horror film. Chaves also has a really good eye for scenery and set design.

The scary moments may not be as frequent or have the punch that of the Conjuring, but don't get me wrong there are some good ones, some of which maintain the style of the previous films. 

Overall, I'd recommend this. Again, not quite as strong as the last two films but that's just compared to them. Besides, they were directed by James Wan, one of the biggest horror directors of recent. It's a bit of an unfair comparison. It's just a good time if you like spooky stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment