Wednesday, January 6, 2021

The Midnight Sky

7/10

The Midnight Sky, based on the novel Good Morning, Midnight by Lily Brooks-Dalton, takes place on a post-apocalyptic Earth. Augustine (played by George Clooney who also directs), a dying scientist in the Arctic tries to contact others while a spacecraft  on a scouting mission for potentially habitable new worlds is returning without any of the crew knowing what is going on. This was decent.

Midnight Sky is half survival film (both in Arctic conditions and outer space) and character piece.  The best word to sum this all up is: interesting. I'm glad I saw it. It's definitely something different (both optimistic and pessimistic). Plus, there is one thing they've done with space that I don't think I've seen anyone do before that really sticks out. However, the dialogue could've been stronger. This is one of those films that felt it could've been polished a little more.  

Clooney does a decent job of directing. I particularly applaud how he handled the final scene. However, every once in a while there is a decision that took me out of the film.

A good sum of money went into this production, but not a huge amount. The computer graphics for the spaceship don't feel real enough. However, it is a really distinctive design, both inside inside and out. I also think the scenes out in the Arctic look really good and desolate in a strangely beautiful way. 

The cast is good. I didn't think David Oyelow got enough to do and say as the ship's captain, but he has this wordless scene where he absolutely kills. Also, I've got to say: Clooney really rocks an old man beard.

Overall, I recommend this. It's the sort of movie you may want to watch if you want to go with something philosophical.

No comments:

Post a Comment