Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Spy X Family Code: White

 

7/10

(Full disclosure: I did fall asleep for a small part of the film. I wasn't bored, I'd up my guanfacine dosage for my ADHD and was very tired.)

In this the first film for the anime Spy X Family, spy Loid Forger and his family head up to the northern country of Frigis in order to help adopted daughter Yor find the recipe for a dessert she intends to enter into a baking contest. On the way there, Yor accidentally gets herself involved in a secret military plot. 

This isn't one of those anime movies spun from a show, like the action ones, where you can coast and not worry too much about not seeing the original. Don't get me wrong, the movie does give newcomers a refresher on the basic plot, but the whole world and additional characters felt like a little too much for me (not enough detail). I think the biggest issue is that this is an imaginary, Cold War-esque world with its own helping heap of political backstory and international policy. (I do appreciate the world-building.)

But if you're already a fan of the show, I feel like this may be up your alley. I'm surmising that a main draw of this is the humorous situation the characters get into and the core characters themselves (this really feels a like a character piece for the family). That having been said, I as a newcomer did feel like a lot of the scenes of the family just hanging out went on too long.

There is action, but it mostly isn't till the end. Still, when it happens, the fight scenes are well handled enough. Also, the villain in this isn't too shabby. Since a lack of filler stories for ongoing anime stories can feel basic or lackluster, this guy at least had a bit of a personality to him. His design ain't too shabby, either.

This is one of those show-to-movie adaptations where basically it's television animation that looks a little better. This isn't a huge budget, but I'm not knocking it. The animators were clearly putting in the effort, and I particularly liked the amount of detail in the backgrounds.

Kinda recommended. I think the fans will be pleased, but this would probably be more of a 6/10 for newbies in a story that feels just okay without context.

No comments:

Post a Comment