Monday, September 5, 2022

Fall


8/10

After a tragic event in her past, mountain climber Becky Connor (played by Shazam's Grace Caroline Currey) is left in a cloud of depression. Hoping to snap her out of it, her friend Shiloh Hunter (Runaways' Virginia Gardner) takes her on a climb up a two thousand foot decommissioned television tower. Things go wrong (naturally, or there wouldn't be a movie) and they end up stuck at the top.

This is one of your basic hero/heroes-are-stuck-in-an-isolated, dangerous-place films, like The Reef and Frozen. (NO, not that Frozen. I'm talking about a film that came a few years earlier. Between that and Descendants, Disney is showing an annoying tendency of stealing movie titles.) I wouldn't say the plot brings anything revolutionary, but it is a very well-made film. People with acrophobia should avoid this at all costs. I have never seen a movie evoke a specific phobia as much as this film. I was kept in constant discomfort, worried for the two women. After constantly seeing them moving about the top of the tower, I was thinking "Why don't they have their hands wrapped around the pole at all times?!" That's how drawn in I'd gotten.

At first, I thought this had to be all done via green screen. (The shots of the ground below are obviously digitally added.) But, I kept asking myself, how are they getting the light to be so natural? It was driving me nuts, so I looked it up. Turns out they filmed a good part of this on an actual hundred foot tower. I applaud the director, because it must've been pretty difficult to film some of the shots in this. I've got nothing but respect for him.

My only big criticism is that this basically copies a plot point from a similar film.

Overall, recommended, again unless it may trigger you. Even if you're a little acrophobic, be wary. This is a well made film. I wouldn't say it's distinct enough to see immediately in theaters, but it's definitely a good suspense flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment