Sunday, July 17, 2022

Where the Crawdads Sing

 

6.5/10

In this adaptation of the book of the same name by Delia Owens, young woman Kya Clark (played by Daisy Edgar-Jones), who's spent her whole life living in the marsh, stands on trial accused of the murder of her ex-lover Chase Andrews (The King's Man's Harris Dickinson). I try to get the most out of my subscription to AMC's A-List. There wasn't anything that I was really anticipating this weekend. This movie and Mrs. Harris goes to Paris were my two options. Ultimately, I went with this on account of the murder trial interesting me. (No offense to Mrs. Harris. Older woman decides to live and be bold for once in her life; sounds like a good time for many.) I kinda liked Where the Crawdads Sing (more on the kinda later).

The story is solid. Manages to be a romantic melodrama that feels mostly grounded and never like it gets too soapy or tropey. There is one part involving leaves that feels corny, but since it happened only once I'll allow it. I bet many a romance fan would have no problem with that bit.

Though this movie is more about Kya's story than it is about the mystery of what happened to Chase, I thought the it did a surprisingly good job of keeping you guessing about what happened and/or who did it.

The movie's competently directed. The wilderness scenery is truly majestic and the best part of this; my hat off to the location scout. Editing in this can be a little choppy at points.

Pretty good cast all-around in this. Edgar-Jones does a solid job as the lead. David Straitharn plays Kya's lawyer, and yeah it's your basic "Atticus Finch-esque lawyer who supports the protagonist when no one else will" trope, but he's definitely the sort of actor you want for that role. (Kind of wished he had more scenes.) The MVP here though is definitely Taylor John Smith as one of Kya's love interests. He completely sells the tender-hearted, protective paramour role here.

Now you're probably wondering why I only kinda like this despite the mostly positive stuff I said above. The movie's too gosh darn long. It didn't need to be two hours and five minutes. The middle in particular felt stretched. I found myself losing attention at several points. I left the theater to go to the bathroom. Usually I try to hold it, or feel annoyed I missed a scene when I can't, but I really didn't mind at all here. The thing is that no scenes needed to be cut, they just needed to slim them down. Pacing does pick up by the third act for what it's worth.  

I have no intent to watch this again, but I had a good time. Yeah, I was bored at points but this film can get interesting as well. In all fairness, I'm a guy and I think this written more for the female demographic. I can see a lot of romance fans getting a lot more out of this than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment