Saturday, February 5, 2022

Jack@$$ Forever

8/10

In what is supposed to be the last JA entry (at least for the original gang), Johnny Knoxville and company do what they always do: subject themselves to a ton of intensely rough pranks and stunts. 

Except for maybe one or two clips, I didn't see the original show or the first three films. Never had much interest. However, the movie trailers have been shown a LOT in theaters and for what feels like forever. It got in my head, and I couldn't resist it's siren's call.  

I can't say as to whether this is as good as "classic" JA, but I found it to be hilarious. The pranks and stunts here are pretty clever, sometimes bizarrely so, and delightfully violent. (Yes, I'm aware I am taking pleasure from people royally messing themselves up, which might have terrible long term effects on them later in life. I'm not proud of this.) The guys are having fun and their merriment is infectious. 

Be prepared for a lot of male genitalia in this. I mean a LOT. Also, there's a lot of gross stuff. (Not a fan of that part.) I was not expecting to see so much poop, or any poop at all. Weird thing is, there's more poop in this than vomit. I'd have thought it'd be the other way around. Live and learn.

The pacing in this is really tight as we're competently switch from one prank or stunt to the next. I can read between-the-lines with this film and a lot of pranks or longer scenes got cut. They clearly knew what to stick with. 

I give Knoxville and company credit for being honest about the toll and dangers of the stunts on this show. The movie doesn't flinch from showing when the paramedics are called in. Knoxville got brain damage from a stunt here.

Speaking of the toll the movie took, that's one reason it's the gang's last film. They're not getting any younger, and one can only take so much. To help lighten the load, the movie brought in several new faces, which I liked well enough. Again, not a long time follower of the show, so I really can't compare them to the OG crew. Understand that this is missing a couple JA members. Ryan Dunn died in a car crash (supposedly another reason this was made as a sort of tribute and last hurrah) and Bam Margera broke his sobriety clause.

If you like hardcore pranks and stunts, then this movie is for you. I guess this would probably satisfy any longtime JA fan. However, if you don't like gross out humor or things just getting weird then you'd best avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment