Friday, November 5, 2021

Eternals

10/10

In this movie, the titular Eternals are immortal beings who have lived on Earth for centuries. The group, who have been scattered, reunite when their old enemies the people-eating Deviants return.  

The buzz about this film is that it was going to be different for a Marvel film and go for more of an epic feel. I'm very pleased to say that this met my expectations and really did feel different. Don't get me wrong this is still an MCU movie; it's got jokes and CGI fighting. However, it tweaks the formula a little.  There is a lot less fighting and a lot more focus on story and characters and their interactions. I know I've seen complaints about the length and pacing, but it was never an issue for me. I thought everything was done and revealed at a steady stride. I liked everything I learned as the movie goes on. It's got a large cast, but the movie makes the wise choice of not having everyone immediately meet at once, giving more time to let characters breathe. 

I give this movie credit for doing a few things you don't usually see in Marvel films. This is one of their entries that takes itself more seriously. A lot of thought is given than expected. We get the usual big fight, but it has more of an oomph than your traditional MCU finale.

The special effects in this are pretty good. Some great cosmic creature and sci-fi design. I wasn't initially sold by the Deviants' design in the commercials, looked like basic green CGI creatures, but there is a surprising amount of detail to them. No Deviant is alike and I appreciate the variety. 

Strong cast and group of characters. For 10 Eternals, all the characters' are fairly well developed, some more than others, but even the less prominent ones have distinctive traits. My favorite Eternals are probably Kumail Nanjiani's Kingo, the most humorous member of the group, and the technology-oriented Phastos (Brian Tyree Henry), who has one of the more interesting life paths. Game of Thrones' Kit Harrington has only a small part as the boyfriend of Eternal Cersei (Gemma Chan), but he shines as a more human element and generally likable guy. 

 Highly recommended. I know I might be a bit vague, but I don't want to spoil anything. This is a really entertaining superhero/god-like being epic. Definitely the best of the Marvel phase 4 films so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment