Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Foundation- Episode 1

 

6/10

In this Apple+ TV show based on the Foundation books by Issac Asimov, the known universe is ruled by an intergalactic empire.  Mathematician Hari Seldon (played by Jared Harris) has made a prediction about the empire's future and angers its emperors. 

I decided not to continue watching after this episode. I wouldn't say I disliked it, but I already have a lot of shows on my plate, and Foundation didn't do enough to convince me to keep watching. (I haven't read the original books, so I can't say how this compares to them. I've heard this is fairly different.)

This is an impressively developed, complex world the audience is dropped into. The backstory and culture of the empire and its various worlds is really well thought out. However, the show tries to juggle way too many things. A lot of plot points feel glossed over, and it's easy to lose track or be confused. 

This is a space opera and at times I feel like it's trying too hard to feel grand and important. It bugs me that for a show trying to take itself seriously, it suffers from a villain, Emperor Day (Lee Pace), who feels a little silly. Pace does a great job acting, and the character is clever with some good lines. But, he seemed to suffer from inconsistent writing. Like they try to have him be both smart and controlled, but also be a bit of an entitled brat but not in a convincing way. There's something he does in this that feels very arbitrary.

Seldon and his new pupil Gaal Dornick (Lou Llobell) are likable protagonists, and their respective actors' performances are one of the strongest parts of the show.

Visually, the pilot episode is fantastic. Practically movie quality in terms of special effects. The technology and architecture of the planets in this really work.

Overall, I think there is an audience with this. Like I said, this does epic sci-fi well and impressive in its world-building. However, I think others may be bored with it and think it's just a bunch of stuff thrown at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment