Sunday, May 9, 2021

Maggie Simpson in The Force Awakens from its Nap

 

8/10

In this new Simpsons short on Disney+, Maggie Simpson is put into a daycare that takes place in the Star Wars universe.

This is a fairly amusing quickie (only 3 minutes). Not a whole lot of complexity, just a bunch of good-spirited Star Wars visual jokes. If I'm not mistaken, the director and writers are all from the Simpsons golden-age and this short has that classic satirical, smart feel it did back then. The short's not afraid to even poke one light jab at the franchise.

Now my memory could be playing tricks on me, but the animation doesn't feel as ambitious as the last two shorts. This is probably because it was always meant for television and not to be shown on the big screen. Definitely seems to have the same animation as the show. I do miss the perspective coming from Maggie's point of view and the adult characters' faces mostly hidden. Still, I guess it can't be helped in order to utilize the Star Wars characters.

How does it compare to the other two Maggie shorts? It isn't as strong as the The Longest Daycare, the clever first one which set up this film series, but is more original than Playdate with Destiny. Overall, I recommend it. It's an amusing, and like I said it doesn't take up too much time.

No comments:

Post a Comment